Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Shovel Like Your Life Depends on It

Like most people, I let out a sigh of relief when the city publicized a post-snowmageddon reprieve for parking tickets and shoveling fines. There was just too much snow too quickly for most of us to keep up with it.

After two weeks of reprieve, this Monday February 22, meter maids were back out in full force. Of course, it's going to take a lot more time to get fully up-to-speed in areas like Allegheny Center where many meters have fallen over victims of over-ambitious snow plows.

I can't find official word on the shoveling fines being re-instated.

On Sunday, Ernestine Ross was walking in the streets of Homewood because the sidewalks were not cleared. She was hit by a car and is in critical condition. Last week, as I was walking down Arlington Avenue in the street, I turned around every few feet with every intention of jumping into a snowbank if a car came too close. I had a few close calls as it were.

If you're driving, pay special attention to folks that may be in the street.

If you work in the city, please for the sake of people like Ernestine Ross, start fining folks who aren't shoveling their sidewalks (and clear the city sidewalks like most of Arlington Avenue.) I've already submitted my 311 request to clear the sidewalks on Arlington Avenue.

If you haven't yet, shovel your sidewalk like your life (or the life of your neighbor) depends on it. Because it does. 2 weeks is at least too much time for a reprieve, especially in the case of Ernestine Ross.

1 comment:

Roxy said...

Thank you! I live in Arlington and have children that have to walk the streets on the way to their school bus or in 2+ ft of snow and its been how long now? I'm sorry shovel your sidewalks, enough is enough!