Monday, July 6, 2009

6 More Years of Monopoly?

Within 6 years, Verizon cable will be available throughout the city, according to a tentative new contract with the city. While I'm happy to see a schedule has been planned for the roll-out, I'm pretty disappointed in the timeline. Because of my hill-top perch, I'm guessing my street will be a pretty low priority for Verizon, though I'll probably fare better than the Hill District.

Of course, in 6 years, I won't have wired internet or cable anyways. Wireless options have been growing by leaps and bounds and will make cable as we know it just as obsolete as landline telephones. Cricket will probably beat Verizon in becoming a viable internet option for me. Or maybe the downtown wide wireless internet access can creep up the hill? Either way, I'm just waiting for the day when I can call up Comcast and tell them I'm canceling service because their customer service is abominable.

No comments: